Dr. Ben Roberts began working as a staff vitreoretinal surgeon at Retina Consultants of Alabama (RCA) following completion of his fellowship training here in 2005. During this time, Dr. Roberts and his family began preparing for their missionary service in Bomet, Kenya at Tenwek Hospital, which began in 2006. Tenwek, one of the largest mission hospitals in Kenya, was founded by World Gospel Mission in 1935. See below for additional information on Dr. Roberts’ ministry at Tenwek.
As of August 1st, 2020, he has returned to Birmingham with his family for a one-year furlough to work at RCA. He is currently accepting new patients.
- Vitreoretinal Disease and Surgery Fellowship, 2003 to 2005
Retina Consultants of Alabama, P.C., Birmingham, Alabama
- Ophthalmology Residency, 2000 to 2003
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, Birmingham, Alabama
- Doctor of Medicine, 1995 to 1999
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry (summa cum laude), 1992 to 1995
Birmingham Southern College, Birmingham, Alabama
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 2004
- Alabama Medical License, 2000
Professional Societies and Memberships
- American Medical Association, 1999-present
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2000-present
- American Society of Retina Specialists, 2005-present
Honors and Awards
- Academic Excellence Award
- President’s List
- Varsity Tennis Team
- Orientation Staff, 1993
- Youth Ambassadors, 1993-1995
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Beta Beta Beta (Biology Honor Society)
- Kappa Mu Epsilon (Mathematics Honor Society)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Health Honor Society)
- Omicron Delta Kappa (Leadership Honor Society)
- Representative to National Academy of Family Practice, 1996
- Medical Student Enrichment Program–Mission Trip to Jamaica, 1996
- Re-accreditation Committee for Medical Schools, 1998
- Best First-Year Ophthalmology Resident Poster Presentation, 2001
- Chief Resident, July-December, 2002
World Gospel Mission, Tenwek Hospital, Bomet, Kenya (East Africa), 2006-present
“Sharing the Light, Restoring Vision”
The Roberts Family Ministry
Dr. Roberts and his wife, Jenny, and their three children, Luke, Isaac, and Nate, have the ministry motto, “Sharing the Light, Restoring Vision.” Dr. Roberts provides treatment and sight-restoring surgeries to those suffering from eye diseases. Part of this treatment includes sharing the Light of the World, Jesus Christ, with patients. Another aspectof Dr. Robert’s ministry is meeting weekly with interns training at Tenwek for discipleship and growth. Dr. Roberts also travels with the Tenwek eye team to remote parts of East Africa to share this Light and vision with people beyond the hospital’s reach.
Jenny Roberts teaches children’s Sunday School, helps with youth Bible quizzes, works in the Bomet community in various capacities including orphanage outreach, and shares the ministry of hospitality in the Roberts’ home.
Working under the motto, “We Treat, Jesus Heals,” Tenwek Hospital operates healthcare centers, mobile clinics, dispensaries, and a nurses’ training program. In addition to being the primary hospital for the area’s one million people, it is also a referral hospital that receives patients from other parts of the country. Tenwek’s staff, which totals 600 employees, treats more than 14,000 in-patients and 120,000 out-patients each year. Approximately 3,500 major surgeries and 3,500 deliveries are also performed at Tenwek each year.
Several thousand people find Christ as Savior each year, and many more are impacted through Tenwek’s compassionate ministries and training programs.
For more information on the Roberts missionary work, click on these links:
Roberts Monthly Newsletter, “Sharing the Light, Restoring Vision” Roberts Website – www.benandjennyroberts.com
World Gospel Mission Website – www.wgm.org
Tenwek Hospital – www.tenwekhospital.org